About Me

My photo
No, I'm some OTHER Anthony Anderson, not the one you might have seen in movies or on Law & Order. In addition to short stories in "Twisted Dreams", "Horrotica", and "The Nubian Chronicles"; I am also the author of "The Vile, Sinister, and Most Utterly Diabolical Account of Latrina Emerson" currently available at Amazon.com or at lulu.com I'm also part of The Gothic Creatives administrated by Andrea Dean von Scoyoc.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

SOME THOUGHTS ON ALBERT HOFFMAN (1906-2008)

Previously posted on MySpace April 30, 2008

Albert Hoffman



Yesterday, I found out from Disinformation that Albert Hoffman, first to synthesize lysergic acid diethalymide (a. k. a. LSD) had passed.

Now, I'm not saying we should all drop a tab of LSD in memoriam (but I'm not about to shrilly rant AGAINST doing so either). Everybody's body different and what substances you put (or refrain from putting) into it should general be up to the individual. I've never tried LSD, psilocybin, DMT, and anything really psychotropic. But if I were going to take someone else's advice about such things, I'd be a little more confident in someone knowledgeable of pharmacuticals than I would be of someone's who's training was in politics or law enforcement. (Nothing against police in this particular statement, folks, but come on: if someone stole your car, would your first choice to go after the culprit be your doctor or pharmacist?)

But I'm straying from the subject here, which is that a major part of the foundation of what we think of as the counterculture (whether he really intended to be or not) has moved on. Psychedelic art may not be your thing, but I think it beats crack and meth's contributions to our culture hands down.

According to everything I've read about him, he dropped acid at least once a year and lived to be 102. It makes me think that Timothy Leary was right when he said "Just say KNOW." Maybe Dr. Hoffman knew something the DEA would prefer the rest of us didn't.


albert hoffman


Fare thee well on your next great trip, Dr. Hoffman. And thank you.

No comments: