About Me

My photo
No, I'm some OTHER Anthony Anderson, not the one you might have seen in movies or on Law & Order. In addition to short stories in "Twisted Dreams", "Horrotica", and "The Nubian Chronicles"; I am also the author of "The Vile, Sinister, and Most Utterly Diabolical Account of Latrina Emerson" currently available at Amazon.com or at lulu.com I'm also part of The Gothic Creatives administrated by Andrea Dean von Scoyoc.

Friday, July 23, 2010

MEDITATIVE STATES

This is based on a blog I previously posted on MySpace Feb 23, 2009.  This form is slightly different as I've been able to get around some technical issues that plagued the original.   The result is something a little closer to my original intent.  I also did a little more research on the history of the Alaskan Flag design since I first posted it and edited a change in the first paragraph.

Some time ago, I was watching this show on the History Channel about the 50 states.  Some of the things I found interesting were some of the state flags.  Instead of just slapping the state seal on a plain background and letting it go at that, some designers decided to make things a little interesting to say the least.
First off, there's Sarah Palin's old stomping grounds ....Alaska.....  In 1927, then 13-year old Benny Benson won the contest to determine the design of the state flag.  Personally, I give kudos for the minimalist effect.
 

Alaska State Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Then there's New Mexico, a state to which I've been briefly, of which I've always enjoyed the scenery.  Even if I never move there permanently, I think I'd like to have this flag around when I'm trying to relax.

New Mexico State Flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Now the above two states have a lot of open space, the kind of thing that sort of gets me in a meditative mood anyway.  So in my mind their flags are sort of appropriate.  The state whose flag surprised me and has become my favorite, though, was that of ....Maryland.....

Maryland State flag Pictures, Images and Photos

And my first reaction was..."Dude."
I thought something was wrong with the television, so I went and looked it up.


Maryland State flag Pictures, Images and Photos

Nope, that's actually the state flag.  DUDE. 

Now, the New Mexico flag I'd probably save for meditation but if I ever try acid I have GOT to go with the one for the (appropriately enough) Free State hanging on the walls of my "mellow out" room.  Yes.
Seriously, though, the flag is based on British heraldy which in of itself distinguishes it from the other 49.  Now I'm not much up on British heraldy and I can respect the history, but...


Maryland State flag Pictures, Images and Photos


Oh, Duuuuuuude, the colors.  THE COLORS!
Okay, sorry, I need to stop that.





This blog is dedicated to my old friend "R", a Baltimore native and fellow Obie at the time I attended Oberlin College.  Wherever you are now, R, I wish you more happiness than is neurologically possible for me to imagine.
  

No comments: