About Me

My photo
No, I'm some OTHER Anthony Anderson, not the one you might have seen in movies or on Law & Order. In addition to short stories in "Twisted Dreams", "Horrotica", and "The Nubian Chronicles"; I am also the author of "The Vile, Sinister, and Most Utterly Diabolical Account of Latrina Emerson" currently available at Amazon.com or at lulu.com I'm also part of The Gothic Creatives administrated by Andrea Dean von Scoyoc.

Thursday, July 22, 2010

DEBRE DAMO

Previously posted on MySpace April 2, 2008
 
As I was doing research for a novel, I ran across a reference to a 6th Century monastery atop Debre Damo in Northern Ethiopia. Debre Damo is a flat-topped mountain called an amba.


The monastery of Debre Damo
It’s a four hour drive from Axum until you get to a place where the road stops.  From there, you’d have to hike up a hill for around two hours.  And, finally the only way you can reach the monastery is via a 25-meter climb up a sheer cliff.  In short, you better be pretty serious about visiting this place.
Acess to Debre Damo, Ethiopia
Drawing some of the heartier tourists, scholars, and believers, the monastery at Debre Damo is built around Ethiopia’s oldest church with its intricate carvings on the beams and ceiling. The monastery is also known for its collections of ancient manuscripts and paintings. Now, a lot of this info can be gleaned from the Wikipedia entry, so I’ll just stop blathering for now and let the pictures speak for awhile.
Cow on Road on top of Debre Damo
Debre Damo
Ceiling, Debre Damo
In addition to Wikipedia, I also derived my information from this Naty Tours description and from Dinknesh Tours.
Maybe I’ll get there myself one day.  I just thought one or two people might be interested.

No comments: